I’ve had so many requests over the years for this Buffalo chicken dip recipe…it’s one of the few that I can reel off from memory!
This is my go-to appetizer to bring to a party! It’s the #1 favorite of my family. I make it for every big football game we are watching. It is also pretty easy to make and only needs a few commonly found ingredients…most you probably already have in your fridge!
There are so many recipes for Buffalo chicken dip out there that are all slightly different. I think this one is the perfect combination. The creaminess of the cheeses and Ranch even out the spice from the hot sauce to make a satisfying appetizer that will be a sure-fire hit with everyone.
Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
ingredients for buffalo chicken dip
- 1½ lbs. cooked shredded chicken
- ¾ cups Louisiana hot sauce
- 2- 8oz. bars of cream cheese
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Shred Chicken
It starts with 1 1/2 pounds of cooked and shredded chicken breast. My favorite way to cook my chicken is in the Instant Pot. Not only do they always come out tender, but they are also so easy to shred with a fork.
INSTANT POT CHICKEN BREASTS: I put the uncooked chicken into the bottom of the Instant Pot with a cup of water; cook on high pressure for 6 minutes for average-sized breasts with NPR ( natural pressure release) If the chicken breasts are on the smaller side then I do 5 minutes, for larger chicken breasts cook for 7 minutes.
2. Heat Chicken + Hot Sauce
Put the chicken into a large skillet or pan. Add 3/4 cups hot pepper sauce ( I use Texas Pete brand) and stir to combine on medium heat until warmed through.
You can add more or less hot sauce depending on what heat level you like- I don’t like very hot food and 3/4 cup is perfect for me.
3. Add Cream Cheese + Dressing
Next, add 2 blocks of cream cheese ( 8oz.) and 1 cup of Ranch dressing (Marie’s Ranch dressing in the refrigerated case of the produce dept. is what I use).
Stir on medium/low heat until the cream cheese is melted.
4. Add Shredded Cheddar
Turn off the stovetop and add 1 cup of shredded cheddar to the skillet. Stir until the shredded cheddar is melted.
Serve the Buffalo chicken dip warm, with pita chips ( Stacy’s are the best!). This recipe can be reheated in the microwave the next day and it’s just as yummy!
Tailgate & Potluck Favorites
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked, shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup hot pepper sauce
- 2 (8 ounce) blocks cream cheese
- 1 cup Ranch dressing
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Add 1 1/2 pounds of cooked, shredded chicken to a large skillet or pan.
- Pour in 3/4 cups of hot pepper sauce. Stir and heat until warmed through (medium heat).
- Add 2 blocks of cream cheese and 1 cup of Ranch dressing.
- Stir on med/low heat until the cream cheese has melted.
- Turn off heat and add 1 cup of shredded cheddar; stir until melted.
- Serve with pita chips or crackers.
I usually use Texas Pete Hot Sauce for this recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 401mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g