Looking for a few delicious treats to serve on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning? These make ahead holiday breakfast baked goods can be prepared a day before so you can sit back and relax in the morning.
Thrifty Style Team
Welcome to the November edition of the Thrifty Style Team. On the second Friday of every month, the team brings you thrifty ideas for decorating your home. The team is led by Julie of Redhead Can Decorate. Since it’s November we are focusing on Thanksgiving ideas and recipes.
Baked Goods That Are Perfect For Holiday Brunch
If you grew up in New England or ever had to visit the Jordan Marsh Department Store in its heyday then you may already be familiar with their famous blueberry muffins. One of my favorite things was to stop at their bakery counter after a day of shopping at the mall… This recipe will bring you right back!
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries
- extra sugar for tops of muffins
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly grease muffin cups or use liners.
- Cream butter and sugar together with a mixer.
- Add the eggs and vanilla; mix until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, baking powder, and salt; stir to combine.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and the milk to the butter mixture.
- Toss blueberries in a little flour and fold them into the batter.
- Scoop batter into the prepared muffin pan.
- Spoon the extra sugar on top of muffins.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 min
I suggest using muffin liners for this recipe.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 4g
This banana bread recipe was one of the first things that I learned to bake when I was out on my own after college. It’s the perfect recipe! Adding the mini chocolate chips came later but the combination of chocolate and banana is just delicious!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups ripe bananas; mashed (no chunks)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- optional: 1/2 cup nuts or mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease bottom of a loaf pan.
- Cream sugar and butter together. Stir in eggs.
- Add mashed bananas and water; beat 30 seconds.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (except nuts or chocolate chips) until just moistened.
- Stir in nuts or chips.
- **I top mine with mini chips and course sugar**
- Pour into the loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour (sometimes it's more like and hour and 10 minutes).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 352mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 3gSugar: 33gProtein: 6g
This lemon loaf cake recipe is unbelievably good! It is probably the most requested treat recipe from my boys! The best thing about this simple recipe is that it makes 2 loaves!! It’s perfect when you are hosting a holiday brunch and it looks lovely on a buffet table.
- FOR THE CAKE
- 1 Box Lemon Cake Mix
- 1 Box Lemon Instant Pudding Mix
- 4 Large Eggs
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 6 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- FOR THE GLAZE
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease 2 loaf pans
2. Mix all the ingredients together until well combined.
3. Separate evenly into the 2 loaf pans
4. Bake for about 50 minutes. Until a toothpick comes out clean and loaves are golden.
5. Let the bread cool before removing it from the pans.
6. Mix together the glaze ingredients and pour over the cooled bread. I like to put the bread in the fridge to let the glaze harden up a bit before I slice it.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 304mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.
If you don’t live in New England then the chances are pretty good that you have never heard of this odd baked good!! Hermit bars are a spicy chewy treat that will remind you of gingerbread. The bars pair well with coffee and tea.
There are a few opinions on where the name “hermits” came from but it is said that it was because the old-time New England fisherman would store them away for weeks when they were out to sea.
- ½ CUP BUTTER (SOFTENED)
- 1¼ CUPS SUGAR
- ¼ CUP MOLASSES
- 2 EGGS
- 3 CUPS FLOUR
- 1½ TSP BAKING SODA
- ½ TSP SALT
- ½ TSP CINNAMON
- ½ TSP GROUND CLOVES
- ½ TSP GROUND GINGER
- 1 CUP RAISINS
- ⅓ CUP WALNUTS (OPTIONAL)
- 1 BEATEN EGG (TO BRUSH TOPS OF BARS)
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 375°
-Soak the 1 cup of raisins in boiling water.
-Cream 1 stick softened butter, 1¼ cups sugar, and ¼ cup molasses together in a mixer. Add the 2 eggs. Blend until combined.
-In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
-Slowly add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture at a low speed.
-Drain the raisins. Pat dry.
-Add the chopped walnuts (if using) and the raisins to the hermit batter. Stir to combine.
-On a floured towel, cut the batter into 4 sections.
-Roll 1 section at a time like a sausage on the towel.
-Place the hermit bar logs onto a greased cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. I use silicone baking mats
-Flatten the logs slightly with your hand.
-Brush tops with a beaten egg.
BAKE AT 375° FOR 15 MINUTES
Let bars cool before cutting them diagonally into bars.
I find that using a dough scraper works great to cut the bars!
Store the New England hermit bars in an airtight container. They do stay fresh for a long time!!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 253mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g
Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving and Holiday Season! Please check out what the other members of the Thrifty Style Team have in store for you today
Redhead Can Decorate –How to Create I Miss Mom Tablescape
Our Crafty Mom –Thanksgiving Hostess Gift Idea
I Should Be Mopping the Floor –Thanksgiving Floral Centerpiece
The How to Home-Fresh Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
DIY Beautify –Pleated DIY Paper Table Runner for Thanksgiving
2 Bees in a Pod –Olive Thanksgiving Tablescape
The Tattered Pew –Free Thanksgiving Place Cards
Cottage on Bunker Hill –Make Ahead Holiday Breakfast Baked Goods
Amy Sadler Designs –Heirloom Pumpkin Kitchen Dish Towel
Simple Nature Decor –Pine Cone Napkin Ring for Rustic Thanksgiving Tablescape
Zucchini Sisters – Thanksgiving Door Hanger Dollar Tree DIY