Here’s an easy chicken pot pie recipe that’s quick enough to make on a weeknight and is especially good on a rainy, cold night. It’s the perfect combination of creamy filling and a flaky pie crust.
I use already-made pie crust to make life easier too!
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
Start by shredding/chopping your chicken.
You will need 3 cups of cooked chicken.
The method that I have been using lately to cook my chicken is in my Instant Pot. I put the boneless chicken breasts in the bottom of the Instant Pot with 1½ cups water and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes (6 minutes for thicker chicken breasts) and let it naturally release. Once the pressure has released, I chop the warm chicken.
In a medium saucepan on medium heat, melt 5 tablespoons of butter. Add 1 small chopped onion.
When the onion is soft add 5 tablespoons of flour, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ tsp. pepper, and ¼ tsp of thyme. Whisk until it is all well combined and the mixture starts to thicken.
Slowly add 1½ cups chicken broth and ⅔ cup milk.
Whisk until smooth.
Keep cooking and stirring the mixture until this thickens.
Once the mixture is thick, add the shredded chicken and frozen veggies and stir together.
Line a 9-inch pie plate with one of the crusts, spoon in your filling.
Add the top crust.
Pinch to seal the crust and cut an x to vent.
Place the chicken pot pie on top of a cookie sheet (to catch any spill-over) and bake in a preheated 400° oven for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
LET THE CHICKEN POT PIE COOL FOR 10 MINUTES BEFORE SLICING (THE FILLING WILL RUN OUT IF IT’S TOO HOT!)
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
This is the perfect recipe for a cold or rainy night! It’s the perfect combo of creamy filling and flaky crust. This is the perfect recipe for a cold or rainy night! It’s the perfect combo of creamy filling and flaky crust.
- 1 PACKAGE REFRIGERATED PIE CRUST
- 5 TBSP BUTTER
- 5 TBSP FLOUR
- 1 SMALL CHOPPED ONION
- 1 ½ CUPS CHICKEN BROTH
- ⅔ CUP MILK
- ½ TEASPOON SALT
- ½ TEASPOON PEPPER
- ¼ TEASPOON THYME
- 3 CUPS SHREDDED CHICKEN
- 2 CUPS FROZEN PEAS & CARROTS
- Preheat your oven to 400°. Take out pie crusts from the fridge,
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour, salt, pepper, & thyme. Stir until blended with the melted butter.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and milk. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Keep cooking and stirring until it thickens. (This will take a few minutes)
- Add shredded chicken and frozen vegetables. Stir to combine
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with one pie crust. Pour the filling in and top with the second crust.
- Pinch the edges of the pie crust together to seal and cut an X on the top for venting.
- Place the pie plate on top of a small cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until the crust looks golden brown.
- Let cool off for 10 minutes before serving
Other easy recipes…
cottage on bunker hill
Thanks for stopping by today! Being able to share my projects, DIYs, and decorating ideas with you is amazing. Leave a comment below; I love hearing from you! Feel free to drop me a note here if you have any questions.
get to know me
here are a few fun facts…
- I’ve lived in New England my entire life! This is good because the beach is my favorite place to be…even in the winter, I love to go breathe in the salt air.
- I am an EARLY BIRD!!! I rarely sleep past 4…it’s my favorite time of day and those wee hours are my most productive. (plus, I LOVE coffee!!)
- The Gilmore Girls is my favorite all-time TV show…I’ve seen every episode at least 20 times!! “You jump, I jump, Jack” is my #1 favorite. (I.Y.K.Y.K.)
I’n not a huge fan of chicken pot pie, but I have to admit, your’s looks absolutely delicious! I’ll have to give it a try:)
Jennifer Howard says
I’ve had the worst cold all week and made it Thursday night and it was so yummy!!
I made this tonight. It was a very delicious recipe. Believe it or not, I had to add a little more liquid to the gravy. I also added small diced potatoes.
I will definitely make this one again!
Thank you for sharing.
Jennifer Howard says
I was thinking about this yesterday too! One of my girlfriend’s daughters requested it last night for her last dinner before she left for her 1st year of college.