Here are a couple of easy ways to get rid of fruit flies using household supplies instead of pesticides in your home.
DIY Fruit Fly Traps
Yes, I know talking about bugs is gross…and having bugs in the house is even grosser!!! I noticed yesterday that I had those dastardly little fruit flies in my kitchen…ugh! I’m going to show you two really effective, safe ways to get rid of fruit flies using DIY fruit fly traps using common kitchen items.
Fruit Fly Trap- Bowl Method
Grab a small bowl or even a small cup that holds at least 1 cup of liquid. You will also need apple cider vinegar, dish soap, and some water.
- Fill a small bowl or cup with 2/3 cup vinegar.
- Add a few drops of dish soap
- Add a squirt of water
- Place the trap near the area where the fruit flies are present.
- The flies will be attracted to the scent of the vinegar and get trapped in the soapy solution.
Pour the apple cider into a small bowl
Add a few drops of dish soap to the vinegar (those little suckers won’t be able to fly out!)
Now add a squirt of water to make some bubbles in the dish.
That’s it! It’s a good idea to make a couple of bowls of the DIY fruit fly trap and place them around your kitchen to catch as many of the flies as you can.
I change out the solution every couple of days until the flies are gone.
Now here is my second easy method on how to get rid of fruit flies. Exciting stuff I know…
DIY Fruit Fly Apple Cider Vinegar Trap- Jar Method
We are starting with the same two ingredients, dish soap, and apple cider vinegar.
This time you will need a glass jar, plastic wrap, an elastic, and a toothpick.
- Fill a small bowl or jar with apple cider vinegar.
- Add a few drops of dish soap to break the surface tension.
- Cover the container with plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band.
- Poke several small holes in the plastic wrap.
The fruit flies will be attracted to the vinegar, enter through the holes, and get trapped.
2 Other Fruit Fly Trap Methods To Try
In case you don’t have vinegar on hand try these methods to rid your kitchen of fruit flies!
- Take a piece of overripe fruit, such as a banana or peach.
- Place it in a bowl or jar and cover the top with plastic wrap.
- Poke small holes in the plastic wrap.
- The fruit flies will be attracted to the rotting fruit and get trapped.
- Pour a small amount of wine into a jar or glass, leaving about an inch at the bottom.
- Cover the opening with plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band.
- Poke a few small holes in the plastic wrap.
- The fruit flies will be attracted to the wine and become trapped inside.
Now let’s get those little buggers!!